Phil is a retired Marine Chief Warrant Officer 3 and decorated combat veteran with over 25 years of specialized training and instruction. Phil brings a unique blend of both combat experience and formal special skills instructor qualifications.
Phil served as a Special Missions Close Quarters Battle (CQB) Instructor for 1St Special Operations Training Group (SOTG), responsible for training Marine Force Recon in Surgical Shooting, Close Quarters Battle and Close Combat. He was later hand selected to be Chief Instructor for the Close Quarters Battle section, MCSF, responsible for training all Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Teams (FAST) in CQB and created the course curriculum for the Advanced Urban Combat course.
Phil’s operational experience includes several combat deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia. Phil’s commendations include: Bronze Star w/ “Valor” device (OEF), Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal w/ “Valor” device (OIF), Meritorious Service Medal (OIF), Navy /Marine Corps commendation Medal.
Phil is currently The Director of Training for the Ohio Tactical Officers Association (OTOA), and serves as a State Certified Defensive Tactics, Firearms and SWAT Instructor. In addition, Phil is an adjunct instructor for Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA) for Basic SWAT and Advanced SWAT courses for the State.
Phil has been instrumental in the development and instruction of the new State Basic and Advanced SWAT Schools as well as the Single Officer Response to Active Threats (SORAT) curriculum development.
Phil has attended numerous specialty schools, only a few of which are listed here:
- Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) Instructor Course
- Special Operations Training Group Close Quarters Battle course
- MCSF Close Quarters Battle course – Honor graduate
- Special Forces Close Quarters Combat Course (SFARTAETC)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Firearms Instructor Course
- Advanced Urban Combat Instructor (MCSF)
- Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor Trainer (Martial arts/ Black Belt)
- IALEFI- Master Instructor
- OPOTA Firearms Instructor
- OPOTA Patrol Rifle Carbine Instructor
- OPOTA Defensive Tactics Instructor
- OPOTA Instructional Skills Course